ScanMan Label Master
Label Master is part of the Scanman Production suite of software, ScanMan Label Master software is robust label printing software optimised for production line-side use with minimal user intervention. It is designed for use with industrial strength thermal printers and laser printers. The software comes into its own in production and factory environments. It includes many poke-oke features that reduce user error and can help improve quality of manufactured goods when integrated to an electronic quality control system.
A significant strength of ScanMan is its close integration to ERP databases. The system is designed so that any business information stored in the database can be displayed anywhere on the label.
ScanMan Label Master has been developed and used in production environments for the past 9 years, with more than 20 workstations and printers connecting to a single database These are some of the features of the ScanMan Label Master software:
1.1 Hardware Integration
1. Keyboard, mouse, barcode scanner (keyboard wedge and RS232) interaction from the user accepted.
2. Electronic equipment inputs accepted: Digital I/O (e.g. push buttons, limit switches, PLC’s), RS232 equipment (e.g. Avery Scales, leaktesters, PLC’s PCS)
3. Interlocks with electronic equipment to prevent label printing if certain messages are not received.
4. Electronic messages from test equipment can be printed on the labels.
5. The software supports native thermal printer interaction (DPL out-the-box, development required for other printer languages).
6. Interlock with printer detection – labels cannot be printed without a detected printer.
7. Automatic detection of printer firmware version to ensure correct heat, feed, edge detection and label present settings are sent to the printer.
8. System is optimized for high-speed printing using various advanced techniques like pre-loading logos into printer memory and quick re-printing with on-printer serial number increments.
9. Optional serial port scanner integration can trigger printing, this helps prevent false inputs from user keyboard entries.
10. Barcode printing natively supported by thermal label printers.
11. Support for shared printers on one workstation.
12. Support for pass and fail printers containing different media sizes.
1.2 Database Integration
1. Any database values can be printed on the label – dynamic SQL generation for every label field
2. Any number of dynamic fields can be created on the label
3. Support for multiple label formats for different customers.
4. Support for dynamic loading of customer logos into the same label. Labels can be limited to particular customers.
5. Support for Crystal reports for A4 laser printing
6. Each workstation can be configured for a particular production line to enforce certain connected equipment and allowed labels.
7. All printed and scanned data stored in a central database with workstation, username, time and date stamp.
8. Multiple instances can run on a single computer connected to different printers on different production lines.
9. "Quantity to make" versus “quantity made” check on material numbers to prevent overprinting on one material number. Helps prevent printing incorrect material numbers when production orders change.
10. Automatic serial number increment. Generates system-unique, material number unique or production order unique serial numbers.
11. Advanced dynamic SQL generation for checking of digital inputs from test equipment.
12. Support for “Default” value of any field.
13. Built-in lookup lists table for pick list information that is not supported by your ERP
14. Ten Built-in Material Number fields for each material number to store data not supported by your ERP.
15. Support for importing and updating customer and material information from ERP files, or direct connectivity using SQL views.
1.3 User Interface
1. The data to print on the label can come from pick-lists, free text or calendar selection by the user.
2. The system can enforce user inputs and digital inputs before printing.
3. Various levels of user permissions available depending on network login username
4. Ad-hoc label printing can be enabled for key users
5. Audit log for changes to label data (who, what, when)
6. Test mode for printing, digital IO and Serial IO for administrative, fault-finding and setup purposes.
7. Material number/Stock Code search feature.
8. "show photo"preview option to ensure correct label has been chosen
9. Fields can be configured as: read-only, compulsory, date, pick lists or free text.
10. The content of Pick list fields can be dynamically altered to be dependent on previously selected pick lists.
Screenshot showing material selection, customer selection, and status window when using Label Master connected to a leaktester workstation:
|Screenshot showing a label already selected from the pick list for ad-hoc printing.
Note that for this label, pick-lists are available,but all user input has been disabled.
Note also the tool-tip-text (yellow box below) which displays the underlying SQL statement for each field. This makes technical support easier because the source of data can be easily seen:
1. Windows XP SP2 workstations
2. Designed for use with Serial Port (RS232) enabled printers
3. Label design software not included.
4. MSSQL server not included (SQL Express can be used)
5. Crystal reports design software not included
6. Digital IO hardware, Serial ports, printers, operating system, networking and cabling not provided
7. Knowledge of SQL server and DPL is required to configure new labels or make design changes to existing labels.